Re: clock sync utility

From: Pindell, Timothy (TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 17:33:17 EST

Let me start by saying that I mean no disrespect. I'm a network geek by
trade, and I've 'worked' with many macs. Thankfully, I only have to support
the network side of these anymore ($^#%ing appletalk!). Use what you like.
Some like the interface, some don't. Some like snap-on, others like
craftsman. Personally, I don't trust any OS that doesn't have a command
prompt.

>>Take a Mac and a PC of same speed and configuration, Mac will complete the
same type of task faster due to the Mac software >>uses less lines of code.

Apples and Oranges. Too many variables. Totally different hardware
architecture. There is no such thing as 'same speed and configuration' when
it comes to macs and x86 machines. I don't know of a way to totally control
for all of the variables in hardware and OS. You can compile a version of
'nix for both, and that might come close. Either way, I'd rather pay a lot
less for a machine that does runs the same process half a second slower. As
for the lines of code, it depends on the logic in the code as to wether it
makes sense to use more or less. Less doesn't always mean faster. Better
written code means faster, even if there might be more of it.

>>Have you heard of any major Mac virus going around?

Not as rampant as some Exchange worms, but there are a few. Why screw with
only 3-5% of home/business computers when there are so many other x86
systems out there? It's a market-share issue, not as much an OS issue.
Nobody cares, that's why there are so few 'holes'. Security through
Obscurity doesn't mean flaws don't exist.

>>Have you heard of any security flaws in a Macs operating system?

I know of a few. User authentication issues for one. Besides, nobody stores
anything really cool on a Mac. =] Most of the cool stuff resides on a server
somewhere that runs something more tasty. Again, who wants to spend time
cracking 3-5% of personal computers when there are more x86 machines running
windoze or 'nix?!?!? X86 machines are simply a more economical use of
cracking time because there are more of them.

>>I went into too a computer store a few weeks ago and they are sell
computers and aftermarket items that looks like they were >>left over for a
Rice Meet! Clear cases, neon lights, blinking LED's and who knows what else?
Not sure weather to laugh or >>>hurl lunch.

You're preachin' to the choir, my friend. Gimme a plain beige case any day.
I'd rather spend my money on go-fast than look-fast.

>From another post:
>>If the apps I need run acceptably, I don't care what the benchmarks say.

Totally. Nuff sed. Run what you like.

Tim