Re: best solution for bed storage...

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 00:09:12 EST

Ethan Schwartz wrote:

> I think it's probably been asked before... but I was hoping to get some
> advice...
>
> I have a regular cab, it's a bit tight on space... Right now I have a
> standard tonneau cover, but w/ no lock I'm reluctant to leave anything
> worth more then a few bucks in the bed if I have to make any stops... I
> don't even really trust my neighbors, let alone someone who happens to
> walk by the truck while I'm out.
>
> I wanted to buy a truck chest, a 48"Lx20"Dx18"H from Northern Tools, and
> mount it up near the cab, but my cover only opens if I unbutton the
> whole darn thing, which would make it next to impossible to access the
> tool box easily. I'd like to keep a cover for the fuel savings and
> ability to keep stuff dry back there...
>
> So I guess my question is... short of a cap, what's the best bet for
> secure storage?

How much space do you need? Steel Horse makes some storage units that
bolt to the tailgate and fit inside the bed around the wheelwell (along
the side of the bed, between the tailgate and the wheelwell).

What are you really storing in there? I've left quite a bit of stuff
under my tonneau sometimes for weeks and it hasn't been disturbed.
Someone rifling through a parked truck bed is obvious and suspicious; in
my experience, if it's out of sight, it's not as likely to get snooped
through.

Or how about just a real heavy box chained to one of your tailgate-end
tiedown loops, with a padlock on it, and one of those "cargo bars" to
keep it from sliding forward?

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------