Re: Blew a CRX & Taurus, blew header gasket?

From: Jerod J. Husvar (jerodh@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 13:21:59 EST

Come on now, is it really fair taking on a Taurus with a measly 3.0l V6 with
your 5.2l V8 Dak? :)

When I had my 98 (CC, V6, 5 speed) I used to stomp on the local
Talon/Eclipse/Daytona population... Of course, racing an old Exlipse GS-X
was rather embarassing. Bastage had taken the GS-X badge off of his car and
I didn't know it. He was kind enough to tell me when we pulled into the
Burger King down the road.

Ah, the days when I was single, childless and thought I was bulletproof.
I'm lucky if the wife even lets me drive her Dak. Of course, when I do, a
little tire spinning brings back fond memories of the old days.

Anyone seen my walker?

Jerod

---
Jerod J. Husvar - eBay: DreamWvrOH - I can list for you! - I leave feedback,
do you?
2001 Dakota CC V6 4x2
2001 Malibu V6

----Original Message Follows---- From: Ken Allgood <kenallgood@cox.net> Reply-To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net Subject: DML: Blew a CRX & Taurus, blew header gasket? Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:43:04 -0500

Ok, so coming from class last night at the local college, I'm sitting in the leftmost left-turn lane, and a crappy looking CRX pulls up along-side.. with a somewhat noisy exhaust. So I put the Dak down in 1st gear, light turns green, I accellerate moderately thru the turn, not knowing if he's going to go or now.. Once I pull straight, I hear him behind me rev it up and punch it, so I punch it. Thru 1st gear, he manages to pull up beside me (had the jump). I missed my 1st-2nd shift, so it did that little popping noise from hitting the limiter and he pulls about a car length ahead. I finally get it into 2nd, and pull on him.. By the time I shift into D I have a car length on him and shut it down. Ahhh Love beating down those imports :-) At the light before my turn into my neighborhood, had a Taurus (didn't look like he even had the ses) with a large tailpipe.. Anyway, laid the smack down on him thru 1st gear (too easy, but I could hear him getting into it).. and pul! l into my neighborhood.

When I park my truck, I notice the exhaust was a bit louder then normal. Figured I might have done something to the exhaust. Anyway, driving it this morning, it sounded like, well, awesome :-) Sounded like it had 400 hp. In fact, I would be tempted to leave it, but my VA state inspection comes up in December, and you'll get failed for exhaust leaks. Does this sound like a blown header gasket to you guys? My exhaust system is Positive Performance Headers (maybe 6 months old), Carsound Cat (about a year old), and Gibson Catback (2 yrs old).. I can visually inspect the exhaust to see if there's a leak somewhere, but is there a way to check the header gaskets? I'm assuming they're pretty easy to check by removing the headers, I'm guessing just a few bolts and the Headers should move enough where I can get to the gaskets? I didn't install them myself originally since I didn't have the welding tools to weld the headers to the exhaust, and didn't really have the time! to do it either... Just hoping I don't get pulled over for a loud exhaust now :)

Ken Allgood 97 CC SLT 5.2L

_________________________________________________________________ Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)