Re: RE: RE: RE: Oil filters; $2 Generic vs $10 Premium

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 20:46:03 EST

Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> wrote:
: I never noticed any problems with the Mopar filters after having them
: on my truck for the first 47,000 miles. At the last oil change (which
: I did myself), I switched to the K&N filter. I'm not sure why no one
: else has thought of their idea of putting a nut on the end of the
: filter so that it can be tightened/loosened with an ordinary wrench...
: that alone is worth the extra money to me.

  If it works like most things, I suspect K&N has probably patented
that idea so most likely, nobody else could do it now even if they
wanted to. As far as why it has taken so long for someone to think
of that idea, that's a good question. There have been oil filter
"wrenches" out for a while now which act like an adapter, that you
use a wrench on to loosen the filter so the idea has obviously
been floating around for a little while; maybe the oil filter
companies thought people would use the nut to tighten the filter
which would increase the liklihood of overtightening? A one way
ratcheting mechanism on there would be pretty slick, but how
much do you want to spend on an oil filter? :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'