Re: wally world oil filters

From: BARRY OLIVER (dhspa58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 14:29:54 EST

Curt, go back to the archives and read my original post. My whole point
is that the wally world (super-tech) branded oil filters are (currently)
indistinguishable from Mobil1 filters. Same markings, same drainback ,
same media, same construction, different paint, different price.

Here's some links:
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
http://www.micapeak.com/bike/ST1300/Oils1.html
http://www.oilanalysis.com/
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

and consider these [mangled for content and length] quotes:
"Mobil 1
Mobil 1 oil and oil filters have long had an outstanding reputation. The
filters have a synthetic element media and the strongest shell on the
market. The outside shell is .0195" thick. Mobil 1 is maybe the most
forthcoming with information since for a long time they have been the
100-year-old scotch of quality oil filters. They are proud of their
"Hydrostatic Burst" values which are three times the SAE standard. Their
"Pressure Impulse Cycles to Failure" values which are the highest, and
only ones I have found; which mean the guts of the filter are made like
a tank. The whole filter is an engineering exercise in loving design
excess. "

"K&N
Champion Laboratories in Albion, IL make both the Mobil 1 and the K&N.
So the family resemblance between the two is more than coincidence and
to the K&N's credit they use about 17% more synthetic media, that to the
untrained human eye looks identical to the Mobil 1 medium. For some
reason the "Hydrostatic Burst" on a K&N is 550 to the 600 psi of the
Mobil 1 using the same thickness shell. Thrown against a wall hard
enough either the Mobil 1 or the K&N would dent the wall (not an
official SAE test mind you). One extravagant feature of the K&N is the
one-inch nut on the dome end of the shell to ease removal. That may not
be crucial, but I don't think it is a gimmick either. It is a nice
finishing touch to an uncompromising design. "

So, if I find that I can get an identical filter to the mobil1, for $2
each, guess what. I'm not buying a "generic" filter, I am getting a
deal on a premium filter...

                              -Barry
MCP, A+, Network+, Server+
===============================
Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the right things.
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.
Contact Info:
217-899-6105 Cell 217-467-8673 Page
217-558-6000 Desk barryoliver@novanis.com
Username: barrysuperhawk
on AIM, Yahoo, MSN and AT&T IM clients
>>> cwkitts@comcast.net 11/08/03 06:34 AM >>>

I cant believe what i am reading. Some members of the dml are actually
thinking of puttin Wally World filters on their daks. ....
Curt