Gas Mileage Update.

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 20:31:25 EST

Hi Everyone...

I've been lurking on this list for a while now. I do read all of the postings
regularly.

I don't know if you remember, but I was getting questionably bad gas mileage
from my 2002 4.7L a while back. The problem has since been solved. Apparently
my truck had slowly over time been developing a worse and worse vacuum leak. A
few weeks back it finally got bad enough that it was making a strange noise (a
"sucking" sound, strangely enough). I traced the noise down to one of the
vacuum hoses. I've still got plenty of warranty (and extended warranty) left,
so I took it to the stealer to have them replace the hose (it's free).

Ever since then I've been getting 14-15 mpg around town and 17-18 on the
highway. Not only that but the truck sounds and runs a lot better. It's kind
of embarrassing to think that I've been driving it around with that leak--but
there was no sudden change in behavior.

Anyway... I'm glad it's solved. I still love my Dakota.

Michael
'02 4.7L 4x4 QC (Auto/3.92)

p.s. I've long since added the weight distributing setup to my towing rig. I
absolutely love that, too! It made all the difference.