Re: sat. radio question (sorta OT)

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 12:17:29 EST

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:22:21 -0500, ethan@ethanschwartz.com (Ethan
Schwartz) wrote:
>I agree that XM has a larger install base right now, but Ford picked up
>Sirius for their cars, so that will be moot in a few years... I've got
>to hand it to GM, OnStar and XM are great technologies and they've done
>a superb job of making them mainstream...

Unfortunately, the level of competition between the two might be
enough to kill both companies unless it starts becoming a lot more
mainstream.

>Most of my daily driving is done in town/city streets, so I am worried
>about the reception aspect, the streets are lined with buildings and
>trees or various sizes, but I'd imagine that XM must deal with that some
>how, otherwise it would be useless unless you were driving in the clear
>all the time.

I drive all over San Francisco with mine, on narrow streets with tall
buildings, and haven't ever had a reception problem there. I would
suspect that'd have a bigger potential to be a problem in the middle
of the country.

>Does XM have commercials? Sirius (from their website) does not (that
>was my #1 reason to look to at Sirius, before learning about the
>different technologies)...

XM is not 100% commercial free like Sirius. Some of their stations
are commercial free, some aren't. Here's the list:
http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/xm_lineup_111402.pdf

The ones with the yellow box around the channel number are
commercial-free.

>I'd much rather have a Chrysler/GM sized 1.5 DIN Pioneer unit, but even
>though they have XM capability, they do not play MP3/WMA CDs, which is
>on my must-have list for an aftermarket stereo...

Yep, if the 1.5 DIN unit played MP3s, I would already have one too.
I'm eyeing the DEH-P7500MP right now.

-BIll