Re: Header Gasket

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 15:15:35 EST

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 02:14 PM, Ken Allgood wrote:

> Where can I get some replacement gaskets?

good question. check your local parts stores for a header gasket for a
magnum v8.... see what they say. otherwise you should be able to find
some exhaust gasket material and cut your own.

> Looks to me like there are 6 bolts holding the header in place (some
> are rather rough to get to).

8. and 4 are a major pain. (unless positive performance skipped holes,
which would make a blown gasket a wee bit likelier than had they used
all 8)

> Once I pull those out, should it come out enough to replace the
> gasket, or will I need to unbolt it from where it hooks up to the
> Y-pipe

good question. one easy way to find out...
it depends on how far down to the Y you go (probably not too far on the
p-side) and how flexible the pipe is (probably not very).
hopefully you could get away with only loosening the bolts. I've only
pulled a header completely off, so YMMV.

> do I need to use some sealant on the gaskets?

JBA told me to use some "copper" permatex. so I did. don't let much
squish out towards the exhaust passage - anything that falls off that
way will block your cat.

hth, and best of luck!

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech