Re: O.T. Something nearly guaranteed to send Jon into orbit

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 18:53:30 EST

raymond.irons@gm.com wrote:

> It's little wonder that DC is going down hill fast. I just read something
> about out German friends(?) that is enough to make me sick. Apparently they
> are starting production of a new luxury class automobile. While it won't
> wear the familiar 3 pointed star of Mercedes, it is being built by them in
> Germany. Now heres the kicker, you can't go to (and why would you want to
> anyway?) a Mercedes dealer and see the car, test drive etc. You have to
> make an appointment with a dealer who will set you up in a studio and show
> you a video of the car. If, after that, you decide to purchase the vehicle,
> you have to give them a deposit. A rather substantial deposit. Like
> $50,000. They won't start building the car till they have your deposit in
> the bank. Balance due upon delivery, in about 6 months. Total purchase
> price is in excess of $350,000. Check out the Maybach 62 at :
> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/maybach020819.html
>
> I hope Chrysler can get out from under its German influences and get back
> on its own.

I'm not worried. It's a $350K car. It's probably hand-built one at a
time. It's not even meant for the owner to drive - if you want a
"driver's car" that's the Maybach 57. You're supposed to have a
chauffeur. The car projects a certain exclusiveness and snootiness, so
they have to keep that going through the whole "experience" of getting
and owning one.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------