Re: new rims!

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 09:49:23 EST

"Michael Maskalans" <mike-lists@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> too soon to tell. I've put about 10 miles on it: from the shop back to
> campus, and I had a mess of tires in the bed. it'll take a bit to
> separate alignment differences from wheel and tire diffs too. consider:
>
> LF | RF |
> act. | before | act | before | acceptable
> .7вк | .6вк [camber] .5вк | -1.5вк | -.1вк - .9вк
> 3.6вк | 3.5вк [caster] 3.6вк | 2.9вк | 2.8вк - 3.8вк
> .04" | -.25" [ toe ] .03" | .01" | .01" - .06"
>
> act. | before | acceptable
> cross camber .2вк | 2.1вк | -.5вк - .5вк
> cross caster .1вк | .7вк | -.5вк - .5вк
> cross SAI -.7вк | -2.3вк |
> total toe .06" | -.25вк | .03" - .13"

Wow, those are definately 4x4 alignment specs. The ones that I used were
way more performance oriented. However, your RF camber before measurement
of-1.5 is what I'm set at now. =P

> I haven't yet, but the SuperChips makes it dead simple. I'll either
> grab a tape measure for a real dimension, and start with that, or start
> with the claimed 31" diameter, and then adjust based on speedo to GPS
> comparison. it allows you to tweak by 1/4" diameter increments - I was
> about .2MPH off at 70 with the 30" Yokos (which actually measure about
> 28)

So it goes by tire height? or diameter? Also, most tire manaucaturers have
on their websites something that lists the revs per mile of that specific
tire size.

> > Is it pretty straightforward to do through the superchips
> > thing? I've been dying to try it with mine, but my speedometer is
> > pretty
> > accurate already.
>
> yeah, you just go into custom options. I think there are three - speed
> limiter, rev limiter and tire size. tweak up and down with the arrows.
> I need to remember to do that, and roll back to the 87 program since
> gas keeps not getting cheaper, and I'm putting a LOT of miles on next
> week (Rochester to Boston to Rochester to Minneapolis to Windsor to
> Rochester in 10 days)

That's quite a trip you've got planned there! Hope it all goes well for you
and the new rims/tires make the trip more comfortable. Just remember to
retorque twice at 50 mile intervals.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L