Re: New Mods/NewPics

From: Craig Rash (2kdaksport@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 21:54:05 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Maskalans" <mike-lists@tepidcola.com>

> You've gotta start somewhere, Craig. the mods all look great - and I
> always like to see more Daks on Yokos ;-) I love those tires <g>

I was torn between the BFG's and the Yokos... tire rack had them rated about
the same and for about $30 less each. I took a chance (having never seen
them up close) and got the yokos. When they pulled the truck around I
immediatly knew I made the right choice! I like 'em too. I just hope they
last :-?

> > Great looking truck! The grille inserts were a really creative idea
> > and they look great!
>
> agreed. I hope they were well prepped, though, since I'm sure they
> weren't designed to be blasted by salt spray all winter...

Ok the story behind the grill...
I wanted grill inserts and didn't want to pay 60-100 bucks so, and I'm
embarassed to admit this, I tried the gutter guard route. At best they
looked 'ok'. but they were flimsy and the paint began to chip. I kept
looking for a more suitable material to make it out of. One day at work I
was walking to the truck and saw that someone had dismantle several old
computer cabinets and the door was just what I was looking for. It's coated
with a thick black paint and it's a nice sturdy metal screen. I cut it with
a dremel. I went through 8 cutting wheels. I need to coat the edges with
something. I believe they will rust. As cheesy as it sounds, I attached it
with black nylon tie wraps, but the're almost invisible. The paint should
hold up, it's pretty thick. It has a textured look to it.

Thanks guys for all the great comments. You guys are about the only people
who can apprecieate this stuff.

Craig Rash
Black 2000 Sport CC 4x2
See details and pics at: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/2kdaksport/index.htm