Re: Removing front hub from '98 4X4?

From: jndneff@texas.net
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 23:10:18 EST

In article <D762A299-17E2-11D8-9C0A-00039303ECDC@tepidcola.com>,
dml@tepidcola.com (Michael Maskalans) writes:
> when I did my RF axle seal, I got the nut off with 1/2" hand tools.
> when I tried to do my lower LF ball joint this summer, I broke two 1/2"
> breaker bars (sheared the head out of a Craftsman, twisted the socket
> pin in half on an SK), and I think I broke a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet,
> too. I ran out of things to break, so I gave up, and had the pros do
> it last week along w/ my rims.

I sure hope I can get these things off without that much trouble. The uppper
ball joints are cake compared to getting that stinking hub off. What's very
strange is the FSM says to remove the hub after the steering knuckle has been
removed from the truvk. Eh? Is there some way to remove the axle and CV joint
without first removing the hub? I found an old post from Kyle stating he used a
3/4" breaker bar with a 3' long pipe for a cheater bar. He stood on, and jumped
on, the pipe to break the nut loose.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html