Re: More Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

From: Dale Schultz (d.schultz@sympatico_NOSPAM_.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 11:01:25 EST

Dale Schultz wrote:

> I spoke to the driveline shop and they don't carry replacement gears
> etc. and suggested I replace the whole diff with an Auburn unit. This
> is getting to be quite the saga...
>
> Dale

So the whole rearend is apart. The pinion shaft nut was "loose", well
not so loose that you could spin it off by hand, but it only took about
10ft-lb to break it loose. All the bits came out easily. Beware the
ring gear bolts, they are left hand thread. I figured that out a little
late, doh! What does that "L" stamped on the head mean? (on the bolt --
left, on me -- looser ;-)

The Aubrun diff will be in Monday, I've got the bearings and seals,
including the wheel bearings. New bolts will be in Tuesday, but I'm in
Toronto that day so work will not proceed on the rebuild until Wednesday
  at the earliest.

And all this started from a little vibration...

Dale