More Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

From: Dale Schultz (d.schultz@sympatico_NOSPAM_.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 20:07:08 EST

Neil W. Bellenger wrote:

> <I took the shaft in and apparently it was oval. They measured between
> 20 to 65 thou in one revolution. They suggested re-tubing as the yokes
> are in fine shape. New tube, labour and balancing + tax, $291 CDN.>
>

> > Sounds like you're getting it done right Dale.

Hi:

So I got a differential bearing overhaul kit from Chicago Rawhide (PN:
DK303). I was all set to put it in Sunday. I pulled off the diff cover
and was instantly depressed. The pinion and axle gears (the spider
section in the middle) had broken/worn and chipped teeth. I cleaned out
the old oil and the metal fragments stuck to the magnet in the bottom of
the housing, cleaned off the old RTV and put on new stuff and bolted the
cover back on :-(

I spoke to the driveline shop and they don't carry replacement gears
etc. and suggested I replace the whole diff with an Auburn unit. This
is getting to be quite the saga...

Dale