RE: Re: RE: Re: Got my sandbags today

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 15:54:58 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net On Behalf Of Josh Battles
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 10:24 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: Re: RE: Re: Got my sandbags today

Everyone has mentioned axle deep snow a few times now, you guys in NY must
get hammered pretty good to be worrying about that. We'll very rarely get
over 5 - 6 inches at a time here, and the plows are actually very good so we
don't
usually see more than a couple of inches at a time on the roads.

I was describing a reason others might use weight in the bed of a truck.
Specifically, I haven't used any extra weight in about a dozen years.
Considering the time frame, it must have been the Toyota.
I would not consider the need when the roads have been plowed. Even 6 - 8
inches of snow is usually not a problem if the tires are good. The last time
I thought the weight would have been handy was March 1999. The truck was
almost four months old and we had about a foot and a half of snow overnight.
I needed to drive eighteen miles home from the city (Rochester). Most side
streets had not been plowed. Once out of downtown and within a few miles of
home, I needed to traverse an area that wasn't plowed and had drifted over.
I drove about one mile through snow that was up to the seam between the air
dam and the bumper (24 inches +). Second gear and lots of axle tramp. This
is when I wanted the weight. Fortunately I was able to keep the momentum
going and didn't need to stop. The snow was curling off the tread of the
front tires and going by the side windows at a 45 degree angle. 100 yards
from my house I had to bust through a pile left by the plow to get onto a
main road that the town had plowed. Since the sight distance was poor, I
buried the hood, literally, so that I could get a good look both ways.
Backed-up 30 feet and broke through a pile slightly higher than the hood.
If I know I'll be in a situation like that again, I'll throw in some
ballast.