Re: Re: RE: Re: Got my sandbags today

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 00:26:37 EST

Josh Battles wrote:

> I've used them before Neil and I'm by no means downtalking their
> effectiveness, I'm just saying that I don't see a need for them if you
> compensate by adjusting your driving style for the snow. Everyone has
> mentioned axle deep snow a few times now, you guys in NY must get hammered
> pretty good to be worrying about that.

Neil, Jon and I live in the shadow of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Neil
& I especially get hammered by lake-effect (in a normal winter, Erie
will get some good ice by January and then the lake-effect by Jon is
much less) - a couple years ago we set a record here in Syracuse with
close to 200 inches of snow. We had measurable snowfall every day *for
over a month*. Last year I thought was "light" and we had 153".
Oswego, right up on the lake 45 minutes from here, measured their
snowfall one day with tape measures.

I don't consider snowstorm "big" and worthy of me not going out to the
store or changing when I leave for work (I have plenty of alternate
routes to avoid traffic) until we've hit 8". I think I've seen at least
one axle-deep storm every year I've lived here.

Even out towards Albany things can get dicey. They closed the NYS
Thruway (I-87 south of Albany and I-90) from south of Albany to about 90
minutes west of Albany on Xmas day last year due to snow. I've never
seen that large a stretch closed off before. I'll send you a pic of my
truck out at my parents' house that morning. And 3 years ago, they got
something like 4 feet of snow in 2-3 days out of a storm in Plattsburgh
(an hour south of Montreal). That same year, we got snowed in (actually
tried to get somewhere and turned back) in a storm that ended up dumping
over a foot on my apartment in the span of about 6 hours - and the town
I was in at the time got off easy.

Ever seen those 8' tall snowblowers attached to plow trucks? They're
about 30 minutes north of here.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------