Re: GenII alternator rating?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 01:07:16 EST

brett4hand@hotmail.com wrote:
: Hey Jon,
: thanks for the info. I'll probably go for the 90 amp at Autozone.

  Sure thing. :-)

  BTW, do you know anyone at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership? If so,
if you give them the VIN, they can pull the options list for your
Dak and tell you what alternator it was supposed to come with.

  Ok, here's something else that might help you out. If it is
still legible, check out the part number on your existing
alternator. It will be a Denso, and the 3.9L/5.2L came with three
possible ratings, here are the part numbers for each:

 75 amp: 53008646
 90 amp: 53008647
120 amp: 53008651

  Just for completeness, for the archives' sake, here are
the part numbers that apply to the 2.5L engines:

 75 amp: 56005684
 90 amp: 56005685
120 amp: 56005686

   This data is from my '96 FSM, so there is a chance the
part numbers are different from your '94, but maybe we'll get
lucky, sure wouldn't hurt to look, anyway.

   As far as the cost to upgrade from the 90 to the 120 goes,
I'm checking out Autozone's pricing right now, looks like
the "Duralast" 120 amp is $160, the "Duralast" 90 amp is
$145. For $15, I'd be tempted to go with the 120 amp. In
the "Duralast Gold" series, the price difference is more
drastic, $150 for the 90 amp and $205 for the 120 amp.
Funny thing though is that both the normal and the "Gold"
Duralast alterantors are all flagged as having a limited
lifetime warranty. Does this mean you don't have to purchase
the "Gold" version to get the lifetime warranty? (There are
other alternators listed which have 3 month or 1 year warranties)
Maybe Tom or Ron can tell you more about how that works.

  Of course, don't forget that the core charge for all of
the above is $65, so they will charge you $65 extra and will
refund it if you bring your old alternator back and give it
to them. (Save the core charge receipt they give you.) If
you are certain your alternator is garbage, you can just bring
it in when you buy the new one and get the core charge back
right away, but I like to install the part first, that way if
for some reason it doesn't work or turns out not to be the
problem, I've still got my original and can return the new
one for a full refund. (If you already gave away your original
alternator and bring the new one back for a refund, I'm not sure
how that works, I guess they would give you $65, but try to
buy an alternator with that!) :-)

: BTW, I'm
: posting for the first time from the Web-News gateway! Too antsy to wait for
: answers in digest mode. Thanks for setting this thing up!

  Great! I'm glad to hear its useful! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'