Re: O/T (was Dodge Neon)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 08:57:08 EST

At 07:24 PM 11/24/2003, Tom wrote:

>Jason Bleazard wrote:
>>
>>Could you pass me a serviette? I've spilt my poutine in the centre of the
>>neighbour's Chesterfield.
>
>Um - ok - thats a wet nap? or hand wipe? poutine? If I remember my
>SuperTrooper lingo well enough - that has something to do with fries and
>gravey?? Chesterfeild? Umm - no clue on that one..
>
>I lost my English-to-Canadian dictionary when Christine went in the drink
>this summer.

You mean American to Canadian :-). Chesterfield is an English (as in
British) word for a couch. Never read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy"? That was where I learned that word. Canadians thought they were
going to confuse me, but I've had enough exposure to British pop culture
that it didn't work. Also note that the official spelling in Canada is
British, even if it only gets used about half the time. All us Americans
corrupting the language :-).

The words serviette and poutine seem to be the French
influence. Serviettes are paper napkins (just had to get that in the
archives :-). Poutine is gravy fries with cheese. Quite good, but not
very healthy.