Re: Re: RE: Head Light Wiring

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 06:52:20 EST

In article <opry70ttpuwzx09r@mail.comcast.net>, 03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net
(droo) writes:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:31:54 +0000 (UTC), <david.clement@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>

> > Bill,
> > I realize that, I am looking to modify the wiring so the lights go on
> > with the
> > high beams. I have installed 4" diameter driving lights where the fog
> > lights
> > would normally go. From the schematics I was sent this morning looks like
> > I can
> > patch into the fog light relay under the hood and make the lights go on
> > with
> > the high beams.
>
> I was thinking about putting aftermarket lights in that location. How easy
> was it to mount the after market lights? Did you have to do anything funky?

My truck did not have the factory fog lights so I had to cut out the molded in
opening. I used a 4" hole saw for that job. I would think it would be tough to
do a neat job without one but it is plastic and can be cut with most anything
sharp. The factory valences (at least the 03 truck I checked out at the dealer)
have a different valence with mounts molded into the plastic. The 4" round
driving lights I purchased had brackets with enough adjustment to allow me to
bolt them to the bumper support right above the holes. I used to self drilling
sheet metal screws to attach them. Right now I have them wired in with all
seperate wiring but I am going to get the fog light relay and the light switch
and adapt the factory wiring so I can turn them on/off at the light switch and
to go on/off with the high beams.

I do not find fog lights to be useful at all, that is the reason for prchasing
driving lights. The Dakota headlights need all the help they can get. It's
amazing how much headlights will vary from vehicle to vehicle. My wife's turbo
03 PT Cruiser headlights on low beam will completely wash out the Dakota lights
on high beam (I have the silver star bulbs too), the 97 Avenger I just sold had
lights that were much better too. So far the driving lights have been a huge
improvement, they really light up the road from side to side just out beyond
the normal low beam range. They came with 55W Halogen H3 bulbs with a blue
tint. I have ordered some Xenon bulbs for them.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4