Re: Dakota Mods

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 13:31:05 EST

Peter Grace said:

> You have no idea how pumped I am -- I really, really, really want to try
> the Mud Pit with my Dak..

BWAhahaha... you fool...

Er, I mean... we'd be more than happy to welcome you to our wonderful
get-together! Yeah, that's what I meant. :-)

> Do people usually bring their normal
> every-day drivers for some offroading?

Yep.

> I'm wondering if it's a good idea.

Ummm... I suppose that's debatable.

Seriously, it depends on how crazy you want to get. Nobody is going to
pressure anyone to take your truck anywhere you don't feel comfortable.
The difficult sections on the trails have bypasses or alternate routes, or
if it comes down to it, you can park and get a ride with someone else,
then come back for the truck later. The most destructive areas seem to be
the creek bed, waterfall, and The Pit. All easily avoided if you choose
to do so.

> Another question... In the pics of the 2k3 BBQ, I noticed that Mike has
> straps going from his front and rear bumpers going somewhere -- What's
> the purpose of this? In case he gets stuck?

Yep. It's easier to hook the tow strap up *before* you get stuck in
knee-deep muck. He had the other end tucked in so he wouldn't drive over
it. Then if he would have gotten stuck, he would have only needed to get
the free end out and hand it to someone on dry land (been there, done
that).