Re: New to group, considering Dakota purchase, questions and observations

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 17:36:33 EST

Tundra Wookie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New to this server/group. I am considering purchasing a 2002 Dakota SXT we
> have at work but I have a few questions and observations.
> Vehicle: 2002 Dakota SXT 3.9L V6 5 spd. 3.55 gears, A/C. 17K mi.

Welcome to the DML!

> 1) Is the V6 it really as much of a dog as it seems or does this one have
> issues? The truck is a 4x4 w/3.55 gears and empty, it pretty much can't hold
> a grade in 5th gear and with a load, 5th is completely useless. If this is
> normal, besides gears, what other performance mods are there that will make
> it tolerable?

The V6 isnt the "dog" everyone whines about... but in a 4x4 truck it
won't be as good as a V8. If you have hauling or towing to do - the V6
will just be sufficent at best. You can bolt on a super charger to get
more bang outta the engine... usual things can help, free flowing
exhaust, air intake etc.

> 2) Is there a problem with water intrusion in the rear diffs? This one had
> problems with water in the rear diff a couple of times, the only issue I
> could see was that the end of the vent tube for the diff was laying on the
> rear spring, which has since been corrected.

just relocate the vent tube to a high location - that will be best.
Also avoid *deep* bodies of water (snicker)

> 3) The shift light seems somewhat erratic, indicating upshift on
> light/moderateon acceleration, not coming on at steady state cruising in
> gears below 5th. Is this normal?

Ignore the manual upshift light - most everyone on the list will tell
you the same thing. The shift light is not that accurate.

> 4) Longevity issues: what wears out, such as ball joints and stuff.

Gen III Daks have had ball joint issues as well as the Durango offshoot.
So far it hasnt been as bad as it used to be. The wonderful factory
design of non greaseable joints sucks.

> 5) Any issues with the electronic 4x4 stuff?

So far no electronic (knob-on-dash) issues that have popped up. The
Knob shifter is pretty new to the Dakota... only been arounf a hand full
of years and its reliability is yet to be determined.

> On the wear items, I live in the epitome of harsh environments for vehicles.
> Most of the German auto manufacturers use this place as a winter testing
> ground.
>
> --TW
>
> "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.
> Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. "
> -Terry Pratchett

(cackle) with a signature line like that? You will fit in perfectly in
the DML.

Hey guys! We got a live one here!!

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes" -- Oscar Wilde

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/