Re: New to group, considering Dakota purchase, questions and observations

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 00:24:14 EST

Tundra Wookie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> New to this server/group. I am considering purchasing a 2002 Dakota SXT we
> have at work but I have a few questions and observations.
> Vehicle: 2002 Dakota SXT 3.9L V6 5 spd. 3.55 gears, A/C. 17K mi.
>
> 1) Is the V6 it really as much of a dog as it seems or does this one have
> issues? The truck is a 4x4 w/3.55 gears and empty, it pretty much can't hold
> a grade in 5th gear and with a load, 5th is completely useless. If this is
> normal, besides gears, what other performance mods are there that will make
> it tolerable?

The truck may have issues as Jason noted, but the combination of a heavy
4x4 (the 2002 is heavier than Jason's '95) and the gears you have makes
for a truck that isn't a speed demon. I had a '99 V8 auto with the
3.55s and it could be a dog sometimes.

> 2) Is there a problem with water intrusion in the rear diffs? This one had
> problems with water in the rear diff a couple of times, the only issue I
> could see was that the end of the vent tube for the diff was laying on the
> rear spring, which has since been corrected.

Can't say I've seen this happen in all the waterplay we've done out at
Jon's, with the exception of Tom's truck (special case). The vent tube
is easy enough to extend with some hose.

> 3) The shift light seems somewhat erratic, indicating upshift on
> light/moderateon acceleration, not coming on at steady state cruising in
> gears below 5th. Is this normal?

Your shift light works? Mine never has. Like Jason said, remove the
bulb and your problem is solved.

> 4) Longevity issues: what wears out, such as ball joints and stuff.

Balljoints are definitely something to watch out for. Brakes were
pretty ugly on older GenIIIs but I haven't heard much about them since
the 2000 model year.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------