Re: Gear whine?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:36:53 EST

Josh Battles said:

> Actually... In my experience the weight of the lubricant has had not
> effect on wether the rear end makes noise or not.

OK, that's good to know. Although I do know that synthetic fluid doesn't
dampen noise as much as dino fluid. See:
http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0001/4050.html

The reason I was thinking it might be related to the fluid is that I
started noticing it at about the same time the weather turned colder. It
doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as I would have thought that heat would
cause more problems than cold. But I don't know too much about it, so I
thought I'd ask.

> Jason, you may want to find out if the shop added the fristion modifier
> back into the differential. That could cause the noise.

I gave them a tube of the stuff, and they said they put it in there. I
didn't actually see it with my own eyes, but this is a good shop, very
professional.

> Do you hear it around corners and while parking?

Nope. On the highway at speeds over 55 mph in a straight line, when my
foot is on the gas enough to put pressure on the drivetrain. Goes away
instantly if I lift off the gas and coast.

Thanks for the input. At least I can kind of rule out the friction
modifier (although it is something to keep in mind).