re: red antifreeze

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 23:22:18 EST

The stores that I have managed over the last 15 years normally average
400-800 cars a month. In that time, I've seen first GM's Dexcool, then
Chrysler's and Ford's orange/red antifreeze, and VW and Audi's pink
stuff. I have never seen any leaks or gasket failures that I could
attest to using long-life coolant. The biggest problems that I have
seen are with the GM 4.3L in the Blazer's and S10's-they have problems
with sludge and rust formation that has been traced down to running the
coolant system a little on the low side combined with inherent coolant
system design problems. This problem has been addressed by service
bulletins and recalls at no charge to the owners.
  I converted my wife's '96 Geo Tracker to Dexcool at 30,000 miles and
never had a single problem using this coolant with the factory gaskets
either.
  If your truck had "red" coolant in it, I really dont believe it was
contaminated but it had the new long-life fluid. If it was replaced,
then the people that informed your buddy that it was contaminated need
to refund your money and have a shop that has a complete fluid exchanger
replace the "green" stuff with the proper fluid. Contaminated coolant
will not turn red unless the truck is an automatic and it is
transmission fluid floating in it due to a crack between the trans
cooler and the coolant side. It actually wont even look red, but more
like a brown color.
Patrick