RE: Winter grille inserts

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 16:08:53 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net On Behalf Of andy levy
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 2:58 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: Winter grille inserts

 I'm thinking about getting some grille inserts to help the engine get up to
temperature quicker.
 Is there a certain temperature point above which I shouldn't use them? Are
they only good for extreme cold?

My favorite trick for winter driving with cold blooded vehicles is
cardboard.
I haven't tried it with the Dak but on previous trucks, I could slide it in
between the radiator and the crossmember and it would stay. Once the engine
started, the fan held it in place. Spraying with black paint disguises it
pretty well.
For trucks with AT, it could be cut it narrower than the radiator to allow
air to the transmission cooler.
If you hit the T'way, keep an eye on the temp gauge.