Re: 2001 Dakota to a new (to us, or 2003) Durrango

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 21:03:49 EST

jonathan wrote:

> Thanks for that info.
>
> We really didn't know what to expect, honestly. 230's sound great, and so
> does 300, but is it going to feel different? And stupid question...whats the
> figures for the 5.9? That, and beter fuel mileageJ is always good.

Feel different from...? You mean between the 5.2 and 4.7? It does feel
a little different. If you've not spent extensive time with either
though, I don't see it being a big difference. The biggest thing is
where in the RPM range the power and torque come on, and the engine's
willingness to rev high.

The 5.9 is 245HP and 335ft-lbs

> If you got say a newer one...can you replace the chip with a MP one? And
> what kind of gains would you see there?

Depends on what year, and what configuration. MP quit making PCMs 2
years ago or so. Check the MP catalog and/or with your parts counter.
You will have to run premium gas with the MP PCM.

> Again, this truck is going to be more of a fun getting around vehicle,
> rather than an off road machine. While we would probably take it out...it
> would be small things. So, in reality...would it be a better to get the 4WD
> (she also wants it for snow, to be safer) or just stick with 2WD?

4WD is *not* inherently safer than 2WD. I live in the shadow of Lake
Ontario and we get TONS of lake-effect every year. I see more Grand
Cherokees, Ford Explorers and other 4WDs spun off the roads than
anything else. Why? Because the driver presses that 4x4 button or
pulls the lever and says "hah! I'm invincible!"

At least 75% of snow driving is dependent upon what's located in the
left front seat of the vehicle, nothing to do with how many wheels are
pushing the vehicle. And don't forget the role tires play. 4WD is no
good if you have wide summer tires. Plus differentials - with open
diffs front and rear, your 4WD quickly becomes 3 or 2 wheel drive, and
very little traction where there's dry pavement.

4WD will only get you into trouble unless you know how to drive in snow
in the first place. It'll help you get moving, but it doesn't help you
stop. It *can* help you regain/retain control, but again, if you're
relying upon the 4WD and don't know how to handle yourself, you may as
well just hang on for the ride.

> What tranny does her truck possibly have now (I don't know anything about
> MOPAR trannys....just GM mostly).

Depends on the model year - most V6s have the 42RE but I think there
might have been a switch to the 44RE in the GenIIIs. Don't quote me on
that. I think the manuals were switched from the AX-15 to the NV3500 in
'00 or '01.

> With the 'lot of engine to make it feel quicker'...is it going to feel slow
> then? Again, not shoping for a speed demon...but don't wanan feel like we
> are driving a 4 cyl either.

I don't think you'll ever feel like you're driving a 4-banger. You need
a lot of horsepower to get the same speed out of a much heavier vehicle.
   Simple matter of physics. A lot will depend on the gearing, too. My
'03 feels quicker than my '99, despite being heavier - but it's also got
lower gears (more punch) and a 5-speed instead of an auto. And the
engine is a lot more lively.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------