Re: 2001 Dakota to a new (to us, or 2003) Durrango

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 01:37:21 EST

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:38:01 -0500, jonathan@crazy-train.net
("jonathan") wrote:
>So, we were internet shoping today. We want (no matter what, unless they
>give us a 2004) an '03 or below. V8, 4wd, and preferably a sport or R/T (no
>SLT...dont like the chrome, and SXTs are that good looking to us either with
>the black fender flares).

Well, I like my SLT, but to each his own.. :-)

>But, when looking, were not to sure about the v8s. Carmax said the 4.7 had
>like 235HP, 295TQ. The 5.2 had 230HP, 300TQ. Is this right? And why so
>close, and the difference? What would be beter (this really isn't going off
>road...but we want quick). And...is it going to feel faster (or more
>powerful) than our current v6 Dakota? So, im asking....is there a certain
>motor we SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM?

Nope, there isn't one you should stay away from. Except the v6 by the
sounds of it.

The 5.2/5.9 engines perform good and they have a great track record.
(In other words, they've been around for a long time -- they're a
good, solid design... Lots of old trucks running around with 150k+
miles still on the original 5.2 or 5.9)

The 4.7 is a much newer design. It's more high tech in some aspects,
which could be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing. For the most
part, it seems to have established itself as a very good platform.
I've been happy with mine (it'll be 4 years in April... going on
50,000 miles), as have a lot of other people.

Performance wise, you'll be happy with any of the v8 options. Having
driven both the 2000 4.7 and a comparably equipped 99 5.2, I can say
that the performance is very similar.

>Also, any known issues with Durrangos other than Dakotas (and the ball
>joints?). Also, any other tips for this possible trade? We could get 8k or
>more (and she owes much less than that), and we know the Lot manager and
>Sales Manager at one of the best Dodge dealerships in town
>(chesterfield...were NOT going back to Lawrence).
>
>So, kinda...any information yall could give me on if this would be a good
>idea, bad idea, or what? Also, about used (from the dealership or
>carmax)...would the 4WD be more reliable (my dad said that you should never
>buy a used 4wd).

a 4WD vehicle is not necessarily going to be any more or less
reliable. Obviously, 4 wheel drive adds some complexity to the
drivetrain so there are more things that can break or otherwise go
wrong. All of that depends a great deal on how the vehicle was
maintained and how it was used. If it's always had the routine
maintenance done and it hasn't been used offroad, it will be perfectly
reliable. Even if it has been used offroad, as long as it hasn't been
abused and all of the maintenance has been done, it will probably be
fine.

Unfortunately, there's not always a good way to find out that sort of
information. If you're buying something that's still fairly new,
you'll still have some warranty left which is a good thing. You can
also stipulate as part of your purchase agreement that you want to
have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic of your choosing and that you
want to be able to get out of the agreement if the mechanic finds
anything wrong with the vehicle. You can then take it somewhere and
have any components that you're worried checked out by whoever you
want (obviously you want to avoid having it checked by the dealer
you're buying it from).

In any event, if you buy something that's got more than 10-12k miles
on it, one of the first things I would do is change ALL of the fluids
because you really don't know how it's been taken care of up until
that point. It doesn't cost that much, and it's always better to be
safe than sorry.

Anyway, since you said that the vehicle isn't going to be used
offroad, why do you want a 4 wheel drive truck? Having 4 wheel drive
will do at least the following:
- Noticably reduce your gas mileage
- Increase your maintenance costs (at a minimum, you now have a
transfer case and front differential that need to be serviced
regularly)
- Add more "wear parts"
- Possibly increase your insurance premiums

In short, if you aren't going to use 4 wheel drive, don't buy it. It
costs more now and in the future.

If you're looking for quick, an R/T would be a good choice. But in
that case you're limited to 2 wheel drive (and regular cab or club cab
in the Dakota).

-Bill