Re: Re: Re: Re: Winter grille inserts

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 00:48:32 EST

Unless its bitter cold out there, just a minute of warm up to get the fluids
fully circulated is fine. I'll also put it gear and pull away slowly to the
other fluids circulated. But very importune, DO NOT "rev up" the engine when
first starting!! With no oil in the top end I'm sure that dose no good to
anything! Cant tell you how many time I've seen it done. Turn the key,
floor it and sit there and go vroom vroom with it. Now that hurts! In my
4.7L its the oil that comes up to temp before the anti-freeze.

You could also remove the stock clutch radiator fan. That helps a lot with
cold weather warm up! Take one step more and install a electric fan in its
place. It helps year round with warming up, cooling then engine and gas
mileage.

If you want to take it to the next level, Pick up some pre-split foam pipe
installation for the hoses from the engine block to the firewall (careful
about it being near the HOT engine part!). Putting back in the OEM t-stat
would help a little too.

Just my 2 cents.

Don Mallett
Y2K QC 4.7L Auto SLT+ 4x2