Re: Re: Winter grille inserts

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 11:00:12 EST

andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:
: Josh Battles wrote:
:> Hold your shifts longer. In the winter here, I used to hold all my shifts
:> to 3000 rpm until the motor warmed up.

: So, uh....drive normally then?

: No, I don't hold all my shifts to 3000 RPM, but I do tend to let it rev
: some.

  When I first start up, I like to let the engine idle a few
minutes before I start moving (no matter what the outside temp,
winter or summer), and I have always been careful to not let the
engine rev very high until it warms up - I shift as soon as
possible - usually less than 2,000 RPM until it gets up to temp.
(But not so low that the engine will lug!) With an automatic
transmission, I also bypass overdrive until it has warmed up, and
even with a manual transmission, I tend to stay out of the
overdriven gears until it has warmed up - I just keep the speed
down to keep the RPMs low without the benefit of OD.

  Until it warms up, all the fluids (engine oil, tranny fluid,
diffs, etc) are still cold, not quite flowing as well as they
could be, so I'm careful to take it easy until I am reasonably
sure everything is up to temp. (Even if you idle the engine
until it is completely warmed up, the transmission fluid will
*probably* not yet be completely up to temp, and the diffs,
transfer case, etc. will definitely not yet be up to temp.) I
figure that it doesn't make much sense to put unnecessary stress
on the vehicle components until I'm sure they have the full benefit
of their cooling/lubricating fluids to make them capable of
dealing with it.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'