Sensor Cleaning for Smooth Idle

From: Mike (mclancey@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 07:09:21 EST

Howdy,

I have an '88 3.9L V6 2WD daily driver which I want to keep for a while
longer (242000kms on the clock). I don't know how many sensors have been
replaced so far and I don't even know if I'm barking up the right tree, but
I have weird idling issues. For what seems like no rhyme or reason ... my
Dak will idle high sometimes. Sometimes when she is hot sometimes when she
is cold. I can let her warm up for a couple of minutes in the morning and
I'll drive to work and everything will be fine ... I pull into my parking
spot and put her in Park and she revs to what seems like 3000rpm. Sometimes
it does not do this. Sometime after work, I'll start her up and let her warm
in Park and the idle stays fast even after the temp needle has reached it's
normal resting place. If I then turn the engine off and restart, it'll idle
normally. Then it will stay normal or not ... it's 50/50.

So I'm suspecting TPS or IAC or temperature sensor. I get no bad codes from
the dash light. Is there any (online) way to clean these up to squeeze a bit
more life out of the old girl? I have to admit ... sometimes I get rage at
the old girl and rev her to the limiter in the parking lot to try to drop
the revs like she has a stuck choke although I know she has no choke.
Sometimes it actually works. I'm sorry girl.

Please help Dak list.

Nova Scotia Mike