Re: Sensor Cleaning for Smooth Idle

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 13:33:34 EST

Mike wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have an '88 3.9L V6 2WD daily driver which I want to keep for a while
> longer (242000kms on the clock). I don't know how many sensors have been
> replaced so far and I don't even know if I'm barking up the right tree, but
> I have weird idling issues. For what seems like no rhyme or reason ... my
> Dak will idle high sometimes. Sometimes when she is hot sometimes when she
> is cold. I can let her warm up for a couple of minutes in the morning and
> I'll drive to work and everything will be fine ... I pull into my parking
> spot and put her in Park and she revs to what seems like 3000rpm. Sometimes
> it does not do this. Sometime after work, I'll start her up and let her warm
> in Park and the idle stays fast even after the temp needle has reached it's
> normal resting place. If I then turn the engine off and restart, it'll idle
> normally. Then it will stay normal or not ... it's 50/50.
>
> So I'm suspecting TPS or IAC or temperature sensor. I get no bad codes from
> the dash light. Is there any (online) way to clean these up to squeeze a bit
> more life out of the old girl? I have to admit ... sometimes I get rage at
> the old girl and rev her to the limiter in the parking lot to try to drop
> the revs like she has a stuck choke although I know she has no choke.
> Sometimes it actually works. I'm sorry girl.
>
> Please help Dak list.
>
> Nova Scotia Mike

I was going to holler and scream "Premagger abuse!!" but I have done
worse to my two Premaggers anc don't have a leg to stand on hehe

87 and 88 3.9L's are carbed - two things I would do.... if the truck has
an IAC motor (idle air control) replace that. I had idle problems with
my 89 a while ago and it would rev up squirly. Replacing the IAC fixed
it. Having said that I dont know if the carbed engine have those. I'm
totally carb stupid. Next I would say have your carb looked at and
tuned or replaced if its worn out. There are no sensors on an old
premag that are going to have that kind of effect on throttle and idle.
  Pegging the RPM's is only going to take life off that old tired engine
too :)

***** Countdown to 2004 DML BBQ (223) Days Left! *****

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/