Re: Should I replace the caliper?

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 08:48:57 EST

My drivers side caliper looks exactly like this and has for close to 100K
miles. A small part of the outer piston chipped off the first time I
replaced the pads. The reddish color looks like a mix of rust (back side of
pad) and dirt. Mine look the same and most of the color comes off when wiped
down. The passenger side looks the same except the piston isn't chipped.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it (because I'm not) but I'm not
mechanic. Replace or rebuild if it makes you feel more comfortable. If it
were me, I'd reassemble the brakes and push on the brake peddle. If it
doesn't leak, do whatever service you had planned on and get it back on the
road.

just my .02,
John