Gear whine results

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 20:54:15 EST

Just wanted to post the results of the gear noise, in case anyone was
curious. Basically, they said that there's nothing wrong. They thought
maybe the backlash needed to be adjusted to get rid of the noise, but they
tried the whole range from 8 - 12 thousandths with no effect. The pattern
is perfect, so they don't see any reason to worry about it. The owner's
theory was that because the rear gears are used, they started on a certain
wear pattern in Bob's truck, and now that they're starting to wear slightly
differently they're making noise due to some kind of harmonic or
something. Makes sense to me... that would explain why it's loudest right
at one certain speed. He said it would be virtually impossible to set them
up precisely the way they were before, and the only practical way to get
rid of the noise would be to put in a brand new gear set. As long as we
can live with the noise, there is no extra material floating around, the
bearings are fine, and everything looks good.

I was happy that they didn't charge anything for their time, or the new
Amsoil they put back in when they closed it up. Makes up for getting
reamed on the rental car (when did those get so expensive?) They didn't
add any extra friction modifier to the fluid, but since I got a free fluid
change I wasn't going to complain. I'll probably get a tube of the stuff
and add it, even though the Amsoil is supposed to have it already.

The owner said he would personally guarantee that there was no problem. I
told him "Okay, but if the rear end self-destructs next week in Wyoming,
I'm calling YOU to come get me." :-) (He said it wouldn't.)

So, I guess that's that. Now I've just got to get the other truck healthy
again.