Re: Re: Moog and factory ball joints ...

From: Wayne Allewelt (wallewelt@mai-aec.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 16:22:56 EST

OK, Using Josh's method of loading/unloading the suspension with up and down
force. If there is any vertical movement of the ball joint other then the
movement with the control arm, then the ball joint is worn. Ball joints are
designed to allow the hub to be turned and any lateral movement of the hub
(aka vertically rotation in the joint). The FSM says that there should be no
more than 1.52mm of vertical movement, aka looseness.

The method employed by the FSM puts the truck on stands under the control
arms and checks for indication of movement using a dial indicator.

Wayne
01 QC Sport 4x4 V8