Re: Re: Moog and factory ball joints ...

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 09:16:30 EST

Torsion bars or springs it does not matter. When the truck is jacked into the
air by the frame the lower control arm is forced down by the spring/torsion
bar. The downward motion is contained by the droop bump stop which acts on the
upper control arm. Under these conditions the ball joints are being loaded by
the spring/torsion bar which can be several hundred pounds. When you jack up
the truck by the lower control arm the upper control arm is off the bump stop,
all the load being applied by the spring/torsion bar is being supported by the
jack and the ball joints are only loaded by the weight of suspension parts
above the lower control arm. This is when you can load and unload the tire and
feel for loosness in the ball joints most accurately.

The only time you would let the supension hang by jacking on the frame is in
those designs that the spring acts on the upper control arm and in McPherson
strut designs.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4