Re: Ball Joints

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 09:48:00 EST

In article <155.29b5290c.2d10e3be@cs.com>, Aajaynefour@cs.com writes:

> Yeah I got kick alright! I'd like to kick some of these lousy ball joints,
> rivets and all, right up the ass of the bean counter who saved a few pennies
> and ordered the ball joints to made so pathetically. Engineers should be the
> ONLY ones to make decisions about such matters. The hell with marketing and
> business managers.

FWIW, a non-greasable suspension is not necessarily a bad thing. I had an 89
Ford that I purchased new and put 155,000 miles on that had no grease fittings
and didn't have the ball joints or rod ends wear. The 97 Avenger I just sold
with 120,000 miles same thing. It definately more common that there are none
than to have them these days. I prefer it but my experiences have not been bad.

BTW, I remember back in the early 70's when I worked in the local service
station everyone was complaining that the manufactures stopped providing grease
fittings. At least they were drilled and tapped everything, just provided with
plugs instead of zerks. It was our practice the first time a customer came in
with a new car was to install the zerks and replace the exhaust manifold nuts
with brass nuts so when it came exhaust time we could easily get the pipe off
the manifold. Some mopars even came from the factory with brass nuts.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4