Re: Home of the 5-Hour Oil Change

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 13:29:37 EST

Travis Bailey wrote:
> As far as economy increasing modifications, what would those be?
> Intake? Headers? I was looking at the throttle body; will a normal
> 4bbl open air filter fit? Sure looks like it will but I haven't
> measured the neck. FIPK's are expensive and, well, those aren't, lol.
> Also, as luck would have it, I have a set of headers and copper gaskets
> for it already (I was going to try and make them work in my '71 Duster
> project...RIP). Pacesetter brand (sold as house brand from Summit),
> worth the time and trouble? I've always heard the magnum manifolds flow
> really well as-is. Cams are cool but a pain and waaay too pricey right
> now. Oversize tires might help with the 3.90 gears, but I know they
> would help with appearance and performance, lol. Can't think of
> anything else simple n easy off the top of my head but you guys know
> these better than I...well I think that is more than enough for now!

What year is your truck?? What engine? I don't recall seeing a post on
that.

If you have a Gen II (which it sounds like,) just buy a 10" round K&N
filter and pop it into the stock aircan that sits directly on the TB
with the ducting that goes to the opening beside the radiator. Stock
cold-air intake, ya gotta like that. If you have a '92 or early '93 you
got larger diameter exhaust manifolds, and headers probably won't get
you much until you spend plenty of money elsewhere. Here's some more
info regarding the exhaust manifolds:
<http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Model_Years/1992.html>

Of course, if you didn't get one of those years, headers would be a good
idea, but you may wish to invest into more intake optimizing first.