Re: Can I use Al as lowering blocks?

From: Steve Dawson (garnetredslt@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 04:42:14 EST

"Jayson Woodruff" <woodrufj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bs2p6k$669$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> I've got the Hotchkis rear springs on my truck. All four lowering plate
> things are in there, and I've got it appart to take two of them out.
> The bolts and plates are all rusty after less than a year. Is there any
> reason I can't use some bar stock aluminum and replace the steel plates
> with equivilent Alum pieces? There's not really any force on them other
> than the compression of the U bolts.
>
> Jay W
> 505/287 Dakota

Jay,

As a rule of thumb, never use aluminum in leaf packs for a couple of
reasons. First, aluminum is weaker than steel and second, it will corrode
and eventually break.

Just clean the plates up and repaint them and get new hardware.

Steve

---

What I want for 2004

I want to change my sorroundings. Our house here will not be a home until it's where we want to live. I want my life back. I left a good career with a great company for a bigger pay cheque and it's costing my life and my relationship with my wife.