RE: 911: transfer case blew up

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 08:57:51 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Michael
Maskalans
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:23 AM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: 911: transfer case blew up

Another T-case!
Mike, take a look at this archive entry.

http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0207/1950.html

Judging by the description, Dakota Dodge's T-case failed in the same place.
If memory serves, you might be able to drop the front drive shaft and limp
for a short distance. I definitely wouldn't try the 750 mile trip with it
If you have the skid plate installed, take it down first.
With the drive shaft removed and the T-case in 2-Hi, the chain, or what's
left of it, shouldn't drive.
I have no idea if the lubrication to the bearing in the T-case that supports
the rear drive shaft will be compromised.
Dakota Dodge drove to Maine with the front drive shaft removed but he had a
new-to-him transfer case installed with all the proper lube in it.

can I pull the front shaft and limp around with it (5-10 miles to
parking), without killing the tailshaft of the trans or the rear
driveline? if I can, how do I get the chain out? of course, I left
the Haynes in the truck (just thought of that...)