Re: so I got my truck emissions

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 15:34:28 EST

In article <bs9tl0$q29$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jbattles@bankfinancial.com
("Josh Battles") writes:

> I know some of you all have to go through rigorous state inspections so that
> you can continue to drive your vehicle on the road, but here in the Chicago
> area, we have to go for emissions testing every 3 years. Every other time
> I've had to do this, they put a sniffer in the tailpipe and put the car on
> dyno rollers to simulate normal driving conditions. Well, now my vehicle is
> OBDII compliant... All the did was leak test my fuel cap and check for
> DTC's. It took 5 minutes tops. I could have hacked the cat off of my truck
> and they'd still pass me as long as I didn't have any trouble codes.
> Amazing.

Well here in Mass you go on the rollers every other year unless your car is
classified as "low emissions" or is AWD. In the case of "low emissions" they do
nothing and your inspection reports prints a statement that states to keep your
car in good working order. In the case of AWD they check for codes. My 97
Avenger never went on the rollers or had the tailpipe sniffed because it was
classified as "low emissions". We will see on the 03 PT Cruiser turbo (you are
exempt from testing for the first three years too). The 99 Dakota was on the
rollers in October and passed with flying colors as did my 89 Dakota (tested in
September just before selling it) with 250,000 miles.

Dave Clement
99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4