Re: Re: 911: transfer case blew up

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 18:55:08 EST

On Dec 23, 2003, at 9:35 AM, Josh Battles wrote:

> What would cause the transfer case to just fail like that?

very good question.

a small vibration started out of the blue when I left Cleveland. I
could even feel it at low speeds.

it got worse after I got my toll ticket at the 480/80 interchange.
after more distance (I'd have to look at a map to know. >10 miles) it
changed again, and made me turn my music off to pay attention to it. I
let off and moved right (was left, having just finished a pass), and
planned to get off and check it out at the next plaza/exit/whatever. I
made it to the center lane when it let loose. I then got on the
binders hard after checking for any following company and dove for the
shoulder. I had no idea what had let loose.

I haven't pulled the shaft out completely yet, so I don't know what
sort of shape the aft front u-joint is in, but it's visually good. the
fore joint seemed okay, though there was lots of grease on it, which
seems very odd. maybe I'll just find a very bad bearing once I get the
remains of the 'case out, and it just started spinning eccentrically
and once it worsened, ripped the housing apart.

That theory fits with the under-truck damage - where the 'case isn't
separated, it's cracked and flexed and stressed. well, except for that
missing front corner that the aft u-joint knocked off....

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech