RE: Re: 911: transfer case blew up

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 13:40:12 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Michael
Maskalans
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 6:55 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: Re: DML: Re: 911: transfer case blew up

<a small vibration started out of the blue when I left Cleveland. I
could even feel it at low speeds.>

Glad to hear that you made it back OK, Mike.

That vibration was the double cardin joint in the front drive shaft
stiffening up and introducing runout in the shaft.
Less than 1/8 inch of runout at the joint puts enormous stress on the ends
of the shaft, especially at turnpike speeds. Since the joint is closer to
the T-case and the joint itself contains a fair amount of mass, it will
rapidly tear the case apart, fracturing it between the main shaft and the
front output shaft.

Visually, the joint may look OK but I'll bet that when you get the front
shaft removed and flex the joint through its range of motion, it will feel
stiff or "notchy" and the centering ball will be rusty.

I'm curious about the trailer. Did it, by any chance, have surge brakes?
They have to be pinned before they can be backed up a grade.