Re: Jack Stands

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 10:00:39 EST

"Peter Grace" <pgrace@fierymoon.com> wrote in message

> Hey guys,
>
> I just ordered a set of jack stands from summit, along with the
> plugs+tstat tune-up kit from muscletrucks... Thinking within the next
> weekend or two it'll be time for installation!

Sweet! Looks like you're in for a fabulous couple of hours bonding with
your Dak.

> My question is, where is the "Right Place" to place the jack/jack
> stands? I've been jacking on the frame near the passenger doorwell
> close to where the frame begins to bend up to the engine compartment (oh
> yeah, bad idea that is).... Where should I place the jack stands
> though? Something makes me think people have suggested on the axle
> itself but I don't think that's the right place to put them?

I usually put my stands on the control arms on one side of the spring pocket
for the front, and I usually put them just inside the rear leaf springs in
the rear if I'm trying to hold the vehicle by it's suspension. If I need
the suspension to hang, I usually place the jackstands at each frame corner.
In the front, I usually put them right in line with the tabs that stick out
from the frame fo the body mounts, and in the rear I usually place them
right before the spring hanger. I don't think there's really too many
"wrong" places to put them... just make sure you've got the truck supported
nice and solid. Give it a little shake before you get under there.

I've found however that I can get away with drive on ramps for most of the
work I need to do under my dak, IE: oil changes, trans services, diff fluid
service, etc...

> Only thing left to do is go to auto zone and get some dielectric grease
> and antiseize compound. And, possibly a thermostat gasket (per the faq)
> since I dont know if the muscletrucks kit contains one...

What are you going to use dielectric grease and anti-seize for? You're just
doing a tune-up. And looking at his post I'd assume that Chad is telling
you that the muscletrucks kit does contain a thermostat gasket...

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L