Re: Quick Pad install Question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 14:33:15 EST

Jayson Woodruff <woodrufj@yahoo.com> wrote:

: Finally got around to swapping the pads and rotors (had to go find that
: 7mm allen).

: Anyways, with the new pads in, how do you open them up to fit over the
: rotor? Just brute force?

  This probably won't help you out right now since it sounds like
you are part way through the job, but I have a tool which is
designed just for that. I forget where I got it, but I remember
it was only $2.99 or something like that; definitely worth the
money! I like it because it is so easy and doesn't require opening
the bleeders.

Here is something very similar to what I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34304

  I wouldn't be surprised if Autozone had something like that,
might want to give that a try. Or, if you have some scrap
metal and a long bolt or a piece of threaded rod lying around
(or a hardware store nearby), it shouldn't be terribly difficult
or expensive to make one of your own.

  As others have said, a large C clamp will probably work also,
just be sure to use a piece of metal or something to spread the
load across the entire face of the piston. (I usually push the
piston back into the caliper before inserting the new pads.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'