Part-time 4WD to "Full-time" conversion?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 16:48:38 EST

Hey all-

  I recently traded my 2000 Sport+ 2WD for a 2004 SXT 4x4. I would
have preferred the full-time transfer case, but it's not offered with
the 3.7L, and since 90% of the time I'm on dry roads (and 9.5% on
wet/ice/snow roads), having the 2WD option was nice. Where I live
there are probably about 7-10 days out of the year that 2WD makes it
tough to get around though.

  Conventional wisdom holds that you don't use part-time 4WD on
pavement due to wind-up in the drive train (especially when turning),
and I know that full-time uses a center differential to allow a speed
difference between the front and rear wheels. That got me curious -
does anyone make a kit to convert the part-time transfer case to
"psuedo-fulltime?" (I've heard of people converting old full-time
systems to part-time in hopes of increasing fuel efficiency) Seems to
me a fairly easy way would be to get a slightly shorter drive shaft and
put a viscous coupling between the transfer case and the front
driveshaft. Obviously you're giving up the off-road and deep snow
advantages of having a locked driveline, and it's not the same as a
true full-time setup, but you'd have your rear wheels powered all the
time, and a portion of that torque available to the front wheels as
well (but they can turn a bit slower or faster as needed to prevent
windup). I'm not actually looking to do this, but it just got me to
thinking.

Korey