Re: Milage Issues Still

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 11:13:56 EST

Travis Bailey wrote:

> Yes, yes, I realize this beast isn't going to make wonderful milage but
> I'm getting a little concerned here. I've had the truck about a week
> and a half, put a little over 1000 miles on it so far, and I get about
> 14-15 MPG...doesn't seem to care city or highway, or how much of each,
> or how I'm driving those miles to some extent. Is this normal?! Latest
> example, today I made a 120 mile trip, I was paying close attention; 7
> miles in town, the rest on the interstate at 70-75, all around mild
> driving: 15.4 MPG. Tank before was probably 80% in town, and a fair
> amount of "spirited" driving for the fun of it: 14.6 MPG. I've done
> the usual plugs/wires/cap/rotor, injector cleaner, air cleaner isn't
> bad, plugs looked ok except a fouled #8 (gotta do the intake
> gaskets!)...only other things I can think of that might be a problem
> would be a bad O2 sensor or possibly a plugged cat, but the engine isn't
> sluggish so I'm doubting the cat, no Check Engine light so the sensor is
> also not something I suspect. Anywhere else to check? Someone
> suggested taking it into the dealer and having the computer flashed if
> nothing else works. Seems to be running fine, except for some pinging
> at WOT or when its under a heavy load at mid-high RPM's (passing, etc),
> I'm told this is probably from the oil leaking in from the belly pan
> gasket. Am I just in denial here??

For a 4x4, 318 in winter on winter gas, it doesn't sound that bad, to be
honest. Over the course of the 4 years and nearly 60K I had my '99, it
averaged 14.4 MPG. In the winter, my tanks ran under 15MPG most of the
time.

Check your tire pressures and make sure they're good. Do you have a
tonneau? That'll be good for at least 1MPG gain.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------