RE: FourWheel Falcon Slide in camper on a Quad?

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 22:31:38 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Joe
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 5:48 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: FourWheel Falcon Slide in camper on a Quad?

< http://www.turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/weekend.htm
  These folks took a "modified" (read "heavy") 99 Dakota Club 5.2 4x4,
mounted a "Four Wheel Camper EAGLE" slide-in (690 lbs dry, no options)
(http://fourwheelcampers.com/ranger2.html) and installed such weighty things
as TWO aux batteries, a refrigerator/freezer, etc.>

Gary and Monika's exploits have been featured in Four Wheeler for many
years. Turtles 3, 4, and 5 have used F-350's and close to one hundred
thousand $$ in vehicle prep per truck.

The warrior concept was an attempt to see how close they could come to
something similar with a smaller truck, i.e. the Dakota. They certainly
spent a lot of money and I think they grossly overloaded the vehicle.

Doing it doesn't necessarily mean it's a great or even a good idea, just
that it's do-able. If you absolutely have to be off-road without a trailer,
in something smaller than a full size truck, for weeks at a time; there it
is.
Since they designed and built this latest version, I haven't heard too much
about their travels or have I seen an update on how it's working. When there
are lots of corporate sponsors, things look easy. They didn't mention how
the ball joints have held up.

It looks like more fun than Motel 6 but it also looks more expensive than
Motel 6.