FourWheel Falcon Slide in camper on a Quad?

From: Joe (MeJoe100NOSPAM@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 17:47:46 EST

The wife and I have decided to move up from our present Ford Ranger extended
cab and into a Dakota Quad 4.7 4x4. We have been happy with the Ranger for
the most part but we are going with the Dakota Quad because, what with
grandkids and a new Boxer dog, there were many times we needed more back
seat but could make do with less box and a full size pickup is just not
practical for our situation. Besides, I just like the Dakota Quad.

So we would be getting the Quad regardless but the wife and I also see the
possibility of being able to to do something that has been in the back of
our minds for quite some time. That is, getting a slide-in camper and doing
a little traveling.

"Practical" pickup/slide-in camper rigs usually involve at least an F250 and
the campers that claim to fit Rangers and Dakotas generally weigh in at 1000
pounds dry leaving precious little payload for much more than 2 passengers
and a single change of underwear before exceeding GVWR but while surfing the
net looking for Dakota "stuff" we came across this:

  http://www.turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/weekend.htm

  These folks took a "modified" (read "heavy") 99 Dakota Club 5.2 4x4,
mounted a "Four Wheel Camper EAGLE" slide-in (690 lbs dry, no options)
(http://fourwheelcampers.com/ranger2.html) and installed such weighty things
as TWO aux batteries, a refrigerator/freezer, etc.

  They mention no final weight but that they were pushing things a bit is
hinted at by their list of "Major repairs done in the last 5000 miles" that
include new front bushings, front breaks, hubs, seals and bearings. Still,
the rest of their web site tells of one hell-of-a-lot of expierence with
other rigs so there is a pretty good chance these folks were not totally
nuts when they put the "Weekend Warrior" togeather and the rig is usable and
enjoyable if one is careful of what else is taken on the trip.

  The wife and I want to do something similar but where they had a Club we
will have a Quad and where they had a 690lb "Eagle" we will have a 500lb
"Falcon" (http://fourwheelcampers.com/falcon.htm). Our list of add-ons and
mods will also be considerably shorter and thus lighter than theirs. We
would still have to take some care in what else we carry so as not to exceed
GVWR but it seems like there would be enough payload left for a reasonable
amount of other "stuff"

We do not envision any extensive off-road "boonie busting" of the kind seen
on the Jeep commercials but we do want some back-road capability to
confidently get into and out of places that scare off the trailer-towing
sedans and minivans.

As I said earlier, slide-in camping is not the reason we are getting the
Quad but it seems like there might be a chance that this may be an extra
added bonus. Is this doable or would I be better off making reservations at
Motel 6?

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated.