Re: back on the list/question

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 13:19:51 EST

Erwin Mendoza said:

> what is the real-world towing capability of the 4.7

According to the specs in our 2001 owner's manual, the towing capacity of
the 4.7 is surprisingly close to the 5.9 as long as you remember to get
the 3.92 axle ratio. The lower gears make a huge difference on the 4.7.
I'm guessing this is because the OHC design prefers higher RPMs.

I've never weighed our RV to see what the actual loaded weight is, but I'd
estimate it to be around 4300 - 4500 lbs. With the 3.55 gears the Dak
towed it adequately around Ontario, which doesn't have any mountains and
is at a fairly low altitude. We swapped the gears to 3.92 in anticipation
of maybe going up over the Rockies with it, and the new ratio made a
night-and-day difference.

What's the total weight you're planning on pulling?