Re: OBD-II cable

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 15:12:36 EST

In article <003d01c3d49e$44251cb0$1a0a010a@crashxp610>, 2kdaksport@comcast.net
("Craig Rash") writes:

> Anyone out there know where to get an OBD-II cable? Here's what I know. It
> has to have a j1962 male connector on the OBD end and a db9 female on the
> laptop end. I have a page with the pin-outs and I have software to connect
> to it. Anybody have one of these that no longer use or know where I can get
> one??
> Also... I saw that one of the pins is powered???? this could cause a
> problem when connecting to a laptop. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's not just a cable. There are transciever IC's that are either either in the
connector or built into the cable (i.e., pregnant snake). Your laptop interface
is RS232 there are three different protocols that are used by the various
manufacturers, you need the active components to translate from the interface
in your car to the RS232 in your laptop.. I purchased my cable from this guy
http://www.obd-2.com/ and use his software (the software is free). He regularly
updates the software and keeps the tables of manufacturer specific codes up
todate too.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4